[ga] Re: [ALSC-Forum] proposal: how to proceed constructively

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [ALSC-Forum] proposal: how to proceed constructively
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:30:38 -0800
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

All assembly members,

The following is from the ALSC forum regarding ICANNATLARGE.COM'S
effort..

Esther and all stakeholders or interested parties,

Esther Dyson wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> FWIW, no one has been *asked* to endorse the ALSC (in the context of this
> sign-up campaign), any more than they have been asked to endorse all of
> Joop's opinions (or all of mine, for that matter!).

  Well the ICANNATLARGE.COM web site does not seem to bare you out
on this statement Esther..  Hence I am wondering how and where you
determined this conclusion...  ????

> All people are being asked to do is to join *publicly* a growing, inclusive
> group that needs to hang together despite some diversity of opinions so
> that they can work towards a common goal - an At-large Membership that can
> have a voice in and elect directors for ICANN.

  Not exactly Esther.  What people or stakeholders are being ask is to
join
a organization, one ICANNATLARGE.COM, that is not inclusive of
any and all interested parties and violates the MoU and the white
Paper.  Ergo, that only domain name owners/holders have a
significant status within this new organization and that they support
the ALSC Final Report.

> At some point, the ALM will
> have to get more precise about details and then there will need to be
> discussions and compromises and voting, but first the group needs to stick
> together and form itself so that it can resolve such questions internally
> rather than split itself apart over the first disagreements.

  Sticking together to what goal or goals is the question.  An inclusive
organization open to any and all stakeholders/users on an equal basis
where integrity is maintained, or one that is akin to a "Club"?

> [...]
> >http://www.fitug.de/icann-alsg). His opinions, and the fact that he
> >chose to devote some time to actually *do* something for this cause,
> >deserve much respect - but will not necessarily coincide with the
> >positions of the newly born effort.
> >
> >Thus, to dissolve this doubt, I think that the icannatlarge.com should
> >be made more open NOW, by electing a temporary Council before the end
> >of this week, among those who already registered, to substitute the
> >closed panel. The current panel is composed by people who I absolutely
> >like and who are among the best candidates for any At Large panel, but
> >it has to be an elective panel NOW.
> >
> >I think, however, that there should be a provision to conduct an
> >outreach campaign to reach a minimum number of members, and only then
> >approve a final version of the Bylaws. The Bylaws of the ALM should
> >not be approved by just 100 or 200 members. We should approve now a
> >temporary version of the Bylaws, stripped down to the points where
> >consensus is clear, and then work collectively to the final one.
> >
> >In the meantime, the icannatlarge.com site should be managed so to
> >respect anyone's opinions and not to give space to any suspicion of
> >exploitation. Are there people who would like to participate, but not
> >to endorse the ALSC? Let's make that endorsement optional. And so for
> >any other controversial issue.
> >
> >But please, DO NOT PART THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE. Do not start other
> >efforts, other membership rolls, other websites. We can only count on
> >ourselves and we will not go far if we are not united. I will be the
> >first to start another effort if this one fails to be open and
> >democratical. But let's give it a chance.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >

> >P.S. During the weekend, I have started to cooperate with Joop, and I
> >have provided him some PHP code - for the moment, it only allows for a
> >check before registration, but I can provide code for a separate
> >opt-out option for the ALSC clause in any moment, if necessary.
> >--
> >.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
> >Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220
> >Vitaminic [The Music Evolution] - Vice President for Technology
> >
> >DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
> >addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
> >Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
> >immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> BACK TO THE FRONTIER - this year's PC FORUM with
> Craig Barrett, Rick Belluzzo, Eric Schmidt... and you!
> www.pcforum2002.com/pcforum/speakers.cfm
> March 24 to 26
>
> Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
> chairman, EDventure Holdings
> writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below)
> edyson@edventure.com
> 1 (212) 924-8800    --   fax  1 (212) 924-0240
> 104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827