From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Williams
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 9:04 PM
To: Peter de Blanc
Cc: DannyYounger@cs.com; ga@dnso.org; RCochetti@verisign.com
Subject: Re: [ga] DNSO Matching Funds Withdrawn

Peter and all assembly members,

Peter de Blanc wrote:

> I do not agree about "worthless pledges".

  Of course I am not surprised that you don't agree...

> I was /am on the Names Council, and Budget committee, and went thru
> the entire process. The fact is, that at least 6 months have gone by
> with no contributions to that fund.

  This is mainly because the GA was not allowed to set up it's own fund
or collect it's own funds that may have contributed
later or at the same time by the NC.   That was a very bad
tactical and strategic error that seem to now be coming home
to roost.

> The offer was made in good faith, and a lot of time spent on the
> admistrative machinations about how to accept and manage the fund. Was

> that time wasted? Who knows.

  Looks like it was wasted, without a doubt IMHO...

> If we had not done everything necessary to
> "prepare to accept money", we could not now be at this stage - which
> is simply that no one is coming forward with donations to be matched.

  INEGroup uses as part of our funding a matching fund method. Setting
up to receive those funds took all of about two days.

> I DO expect Verigign will match the donations to date, as small as
> they may be.

  Well they have just announced that they will NOT be...  Again so much
for *Pledges*...

> Peter de Blanc
> .VI

Jeffrey A. Williams