Re: [ga] Unresponsive registrars

Danny,

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Excerpt from:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/25/technology/ebusiness/25NECO.html

[snip]

> subcommittee, said that as of last week many registrars had not replied. "If
> they're not going to respond to a government inquiry," he said, "what are
> they going to do to respond to an aggrieved individual when something
> happens?"

We responded and sent a lengthly letter discussing how dificult it is to
identify invalid addresses. There is no known method of verifying a snail
mail address in over 100 countries.

Registrars must rely on notification of an registration to investigate
until there is a mechanism to validate addresses and phone numbers world
wide. Its a bit orwellan to even wish for something like that to exist.

We told this to Katopis and other staffers from the committe; If the
choose to ignore facts it won't change the reality of the problem of
verification of registrant data.

-rick