Re: [ga] Unresponsive registrars

Rick and all assembly members,

Rick H Wesson wrote:

> Danny,
>
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > Excerpt from:
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/25/technology/ebusiness/25NECO.html
> >

> [snip]

> > subcommittee, said that as of last week many registrars had not replied. "If
> > they're not going to respond to a government inquiry," he said, "what are
> > they going to do to respond to an aggrieved individual when something
> > happens?"
>
> We responded and sent a lengthly letter discussing how dificult it is to
> identify invalid addresses. There is no known method of verifying a snail
> mail address in over 100 countries.

  What you state here is not the problem at all.  Identifying a person
too a E-Mail address IS the problem.  This of course can be addressed
and technology exists to effect this.

> Registrars must rely on notification of an registration to investigate
> until there is a mechanism to validate addresses and phone numbers world
> wide. Its a bit orwellan to even wish for something like that to exist.

  Why does a registrant have to have a phone #?

> We told this to Katopis and other staffers from the committe; If the
> choose to ignore facts it won't change the reality of the problem of
> verification of registrant data.

  Well the problem is that the actual facts and those being stated as
facts differ greatly..  Hence the confusion...

> -rick

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827