Re: [ga] Uniform Domain Deletion Policy needed - at the REGISTRAR level.

Friday, Friday, February 22, 2002, 2:17:18 AM, Harold Whiting wrote:

> 2. Domains that remain unpaid 40 days post expiry date shall be returned to
> the registry to be made available for re-registration.  Registry shall
> queue all names marked for deletion using the standard "5 day hold" process
> used now.  No unpaid names shall remain in the registrar's control after 45
> days, unpaid names must be deleted. Period. Registry fees charged to
> Registrar's account will be refunded on all names returned to registry by
> day 45 (just like now, except the registrar will now HAVE to hold the name
> at least 40 days).

This is a problem, Harold.

In effect you are mandating that a registrar tie up potentially
hundreds of thousands of dollars of its capital in past due domain
registration fees.  While this is not an issue for larger registrars,
or registrars owned by the Registry, or Registrars owned by larger
corporations, the smaller registries are the ones most likely to be
hurt by this, and potentially forced out of the business, or prevented
from getting into the business in the first place.

The ICANN recommendation eliminates that problem, and for that reason,
I think a strong argument can be made that it is the more fair option.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux