Re: [ga] Poll: WLS -- definite no & a solution

Hello,

--- Harold Whiting <Harold@PeterWhiting.com> wrote:
> If this is the case, and VGRS is so set on "testing" the "value" of
> WLS, I
> propose that the following be mandated to ensure a REAL "test" of the
> WLS
> "product" and not skewing the results with any "deletes" issue.

I'd have to add that their proposed procedure for the transition
period, i.e. the treatment of existing Snapbacks instead of having a
real landrush/Sunrise starting from scratch is a complete and utter
joke. The same techniques used to shift names between registrars in the
first 5 days of a registration would be used to shift Snapbacks into
WLS, by sophisticated players (there's some level of risk, as its
spread over 48 hours, but the reward is worth the gamble -- VGRS is
basically allowing insider information on the availability of WLS slots
to be held by certain parties, which doesn't make things a level
playing field).

Let's give a numerical example, to give folks a feel for how the
players utilize the inside information. There are two groups of people
the Uninformed, and the Insiders. The Uninformed have a list of say
10,000 names that they are monitoring for changes in WLS availability,
and cycle their resources amongst those 10,000 names equally (1/10000th
of their resources), or in a ratio reflective of the value of the name.
The Insiders, though, know that say 4 specific names have a change in
WLS status in the next 48 hours. So, they cycle their resources on only
those 4 names (1/4th of their resources). Assuming the number of
"Uninformed" isn't too large (and since there are only 96 registrars,
the number is relatively low), the Informed have a very high
probability of capturing the WLS slot on those 4 names. Certainly VGRS
and SnapNames are sophisticated enough to know this would happen, which
makes me wonder why they left this gaping hole in their proposal?

Having a REAL Sunrise/Landrush, starting from scratch would be a big
improvement, in conjunction with Harold's suggestions, to create a
level playing field.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/