Re: [ga] GA position on the Structure TF report

Dear Danny,
I think that the GA should not support anything concerning the ALSO. The
reason why is that the ALSO is only a vote capture against the DNSO/GA
Members. This comes from the figures.

1. the Internet Participants who feel concerned by the governance on a day
to day basis are
a) informed (or they would not be really concerned)
b) on the DNSO/GA list and a few others like the ALSC, the gTLD, the IDNO,
the TLDA, icann-europe.

So we may evaluate the year long @large to less than 2000. These people
have aggregated from the White Paper days to the last DNSO election through
the @large election. This means that out of 200.000 people who were proud
sometimes to tell their friends "I am involved in the governance", only a
few 2000 have survived and may be 200 are really active. Most of them are
feared to be either anti-ICANN, anti-ICP-3 or to support some "wild"
agenda. Because they know and remain. In spite of being told the ICANN is
not important (what is true, but not acted as such) : this show they have
an agenda, or are puzzled dedicated honest people.

2. this means that BoD Members are actually supported by a few scores of
active persons for the SO originated Directors, by JDRP for Stuart and by
nearly 1800 for Karl and Andy. The 400 or so active people at the ccTLDs
are a big threat in number. gTLDs are only a few people: Chuck is alone and
Jeff Neuwell is participating alone too. BC is 50 people and many are on
the GA too. Now the Registrars are a real force, but how many are active
and motivated: 300? This means that the real ICANN community is probably
around 3000 people. The official "ICANN Community" - ie. people supporting
ICP-3 for stability sake - is probably less than 1000 people and may be the
ICP-3 worshipers (really "committed") less than 500. Please just consider
the endorsements for the DNSO BoD election, I lead by 25% with ... 40+
endorsements :-) !!! ... and I permitted Abril i Abril to be re-elected
(the worst one next to Andy and Karl) against an establishment candidate.

3. They contained our 2/3 non organized majority through the GA. Now they
want to kill us. The idea is simple. 150.000 or more are dangerous and too
costly to ... control. So they target 30.000 people they will select
("outreach") through the gTLD/Registrar customers (they already started
"selecting" sending a letter to "selected" organizations - oddly enough
france@large [probably the only incorporated only and specifically @large
organization] was not on the list, no more than the ... alsc-mailing list
itself).

In having only gTLD registrants
- no wild ccTLD supporters and foreign ISP/Resellers
- registrars are under ICANN contract with a good US basis - they
understand "business"

BTW they use the "capture" threat. If capture could exist, it would start
with constituencies, much easier to capture than @large and with the NC.
This would mean that the BoD has been captured (Who could think that ????)

They know that these one-voting-day @large people will be motivated one
shot and ignorant of the issues, so they will vote statu-quo, overwhelming
us (they even convinced Karl not to have an @large mailing list from what
he wrote yesterday (?).

They will then use them against us, in making these one-day-voters
permanent members, with an international organization to make sure they
look legitimate (however none will come from the ccTLDs!!!). As if 12
people defeated 10 months ago were really motivated to work together :-)
... I know that, since france@large originated that way. We certainly enjoy
meeting, but working, proposing, voting ... may be some day...

So that International organization will mostly serve as an alibi for
traveling, foreign meetings, hotel expenses and local photos with the
various @large sub-directors (at least these guys will get a free diner).
But from then on whatever Danny, Thomas, Roberto, WXW, Jeff, Kristy may
propose they will be responded "have you at least a 10% support among the
30.000 Members".

The last risk they run is that a few from those who know (GA) become @large
leaders and succeed in having one or two of them elected/reelected, or
elected through an SO. Karl shown there was a risk even in such a well
prepared operation. And silent Andy got also elected.

1) they limit the risks in having only 6 Directors (we still do not know
who will be the non continued BoDsquatter) . 6 permits also to make 2
@large Directors a clear minority or no majority among @large Directors
should another Director occasionnaly support them.

2) the ALSO will share in the DNSO/NC - so the GA may be opposed the ALSO

3) just in case one of the people who know could get into the NC though the
ALSO, the ALSO reps may be questioned their votes at the NC (?). Also they
make the IDNH project an obsolete one. There is no need anaymore for a
Registrants Constituency.

4) because the ALSO will share in the DNSO, the ALSO has no reason to
support positions by its own.

5) when you consider it, there is no real need to unbalance the ICANN with
the ALSO and since Jefsey & co were against the ALSO why not to agree and
to have the ALSO melt with the GA? This way the ccTLD should stay in the
DNSO since their national @large structure is a DNSO member.

6) however such an agreement will only be confirmed if the ccTLDs sign
their contract. If not the ALSO organization will vote a motion that ccTLDs
do it under the popular pressure of "30.000 users". The NC will back them
and ask the GAC to move. Staff will resend Mike Roberts letter to the
Governments. The BoD will compromise if the ccTLD do sign and will go to
the DoC saying that they need support to get international cooperation and
need to continue being protected by the USG (against anti-trust concerns).

That is ... for this election and may be 2004. As in 2005 VGRS will divest
.net to MS before being  purchased by MS as part of their Pay.Net service
based upon Passport data and Verisign certificates.

Jefsey