Re[2]: [ga] Re: [icann-announce] Kent Crispin Joins ICANN as Technical Systems Manager

On 22:03 05/02/02, William X Walsh said:
>If only it was that easy, Marc.  It really isn't.  Not in the US anyway.

Marc, they have a problem with languages. If you do not speak Californian
ICP-3 slang Immigration will not accept it. Stuart had to become a citizen,
Theresa had to born half-Austrian. BTW we might let them now about the
Internet? Today you do not need to be a resident or to have a green card to
work closely with US people. They could have picked a Canadian or a Mexican
anyway. By plane it is nearer from them than Boston?

Seriously, Marc.

Do you really think that to become the ICANN Security Officer you must not
be screened by several USG Agencies? And this seems normal.

What really concerns me is to know - and we will officially file a petition
to the European Parliament on the matter - if he has been also screened by
the EEC as the matters he will address are strategic to us. I suppose that
other Members of the GAC will most probably consider the same as it is also
of strategic concern to them.

The real 9/11/2001 related Internet Incident was the closing of the
Internet and Telephone access to a third country: this has been noted by
many developpng countries and may weight a lot in the coming years
negatively or positively depending on Kent's attitude.

I explain. Everyone has noted that the ICANN has not coworked out an
immediate satellite based alternative path with its root update, leaving an
economy to destabilize and people starving. If this experience made clear
that a person of some magnitude with good practical skills should attend it
under some political supervision, this will be a positive move and Kent is
a good choice - except he is another American, apparently does not speak
fluently other languages and is controverted. (I certainly object to most
of Kent's conclusions, but I also praised many times his good analysis).
If Ken is hired only to enforce his concepts this is bad news for the ICANN
and VeriSign as he will stiff objections to the ICANN on the DNS current
key matter and will protect the interests of the VeriSign's competitor he
works with (unless he resigned).

May be can we also wait for Kent's communicate. He is a Staff Member now,
we cannot change that. A new one whose we do not like much the positions.
EIther he disregards the DNSO or only the DNSO/GA or works with us. It is
up to him to decide. Coopetition, competion, cooperation: your choice Kent.
Whatever what you want, with, aside or against you, be sure we will watch
and act to the best interests of the Internet Participants we are and
represent.

Jefsey