Re[2]: [ga] charging for renewals after expiry

Monday, February 04, 2002, 8:44:07 PM, Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com> wrote:
RHW> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, admin wrote:

>> >most registrars (including alice's registry) contain a provision in
>> their
>> >registration agreements that reserve the right to charge a customer to
>> >"revive" a registration that has expired.
>>
>> >there may be alot of work involved ro revive registrations hense the
>> >proision for the charge.
>>
>> I have never heard of such a thing.

RHW> ok.

>> I use Tucows to register my domains and the cost is exactly the same
>> whether I renewal before or after the expiration date.

RHW> that all depends on how long after the expiration date you renew, wait 60
RHW> days after the expiration date and see if you can renew that domain.

>> Why would this cost be different for other regisrars? What exactly is
>> this "be alot of work involved" referring to?

RHW> because its up to registrars how to write their registration agreements
RHW> and how to implement their technology.

RHW> understand that alice's registry has never charged a fee for re-instating
RHW> a deleted domain; however the provision exists and this is what i wanted
RHW> to point out.
RHW> -rick

I think that's great that they have never imposed the additional fee.

The post-expiration grace period is (I believe) meant to protect the
interests of the Registrant (maybe other things, as well). For the
sake of argument, let's assume that it doesn't cost the Registrar
anything more to renew at post-expiration as it does to renew prior to
expiration.

If the foregoing is true, then, where is the justification for
penalizing the Registrant for renewing post-expiration? I don't see
one, but I have weary eyes and wear glasses :-). Maybe someone knows
the secret, which doesn't translate to "abuse," "profiteering," or an
"indiscretion of power."

The consumer, in my experience, has a "very, very long memory" and I
don't think that it is in the best interest of any player in this
market, to deposit a "bad taste" in their mouth. Moreover, I submit
that we'll lose the additional surcharge, or penalty, in the round off
errors, but the consumer takes those round-off errors to the bank!

There is a difference in prospective.  Prospective is, more often than
not, considered reality.

FWIW.

Thanks,

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----