[ga] Re: [GTLD Registries List] Vint Cerf: registrars should not apply for names for themselves

Richard and all,

  You again pose some very good questions.  They have been ask before
without and a definitive answer.  I suspect, despite what Vint may have
indicated (See your comments below) that the answer will not be
forthcoming any time soon.  I hope I am proven wrong of that however.
I await a public announcement outlining the answers from Stuart, Vint,
and Louis...

Richard Henderson wrote:

>   I would like to ask the forum: What is the position on Registrars
> applying for names for themselves, especially at the new release of
> names by a Registry? My concern was alerted at the start of the .info
> roll-out.
>
> On 15th July I was already worried about the possibility of Registrars
> using their positions to buy domains for themselves, so I wrote to
> Vint Cerf:
> "At 04:55 PM 7/15/2001 +0100, Richard Henderson wrote: Please could
> you advise me on a concern I have about the administration of the
> .info domains during the "Start Up" period? As an ordinary member of
> the public, I have applied to a number of certified registrars to
> apply for certain .info domain names.
>
> My concern and question is this:
>
> What is there to stop a registrar applying for popular domains
> themselves even if I have paid them to apply on my behalf? (Almost all
> registrars charge a nominal sum, but it is not the sum that concerns
> me, rather the right and access of the general public to domain names
> in a transparent process)"
>
> VINT CERF REPLIED:
>
> "registrars are not supposed to "trade for their own account" so to
> speak. I copied stuart lynn, ceo, and louis touton, general counsel,
> in case they have additional specifics to offer."
>
> Questions for the Forum:
>
> What instances have there been, of Registrars applying for names for
> themselves, and has Vint Cerf intervened when this has happened?
>
> What is the position of Registries if they are informed that
> Registrars have applied for names for themselves, which may conflict
> with the right of the public to a fair and even-handed distribution of
> new names?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827