[ga] Resellers or Individuals --- Which Sandpit to Play In ??

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:16:38 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
> On Friday, January 18, 2002, 1:49:51 AM, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> > On 21:15 17/01/02 -0800, William X Walsh said:
>
> >>More accurately, a reseller of a registrar  :)
> >>
> >>I'm sure you will understand why I make a point of noting the
> >>distinction.  Unlike Registrars, resellers of registrar services have
> >>no voice inside ICANN.  The registrars constituency won't have us, the
> >>business constituency wants rules to bar us from there, and there just
> >>isn't any other place for us to be heard.
>
> > and the Individual Domain Name Holders  Constituency is not the right
place
> > either...
>
> There is no such constituency.

Hi William

In a subtle way, Joop was making quite a statement here.  You knew that which
is why you couldn't resist jumping in with a put down comment.

Of course there is no Individual Domain Name Holders Constituency and IDNO
was set up to create one.  Joop is very well known for his work in that area
and
you are very well known for your opposition to Joop.

The point being made is that a number of OpenSRS resellers have joined IDNO to
support your opposition to Joop.  As "resellers" directed towards the "supply"
of domain names, you have involved yourself in a constituency directed towards
the "demand" side of the equation.

Thus suppliers of domain names, the resellers, are trying to set the agenda
for their customers, the domain name owners.  This could be seen as quite
inappropriate.

So perhaps it would be better for you and the other resellers to play in
another sandpit?

Let me put the question directly.

Why can't you and the other OpenSRS resellers direct your energies
towards the formulation of a Resellers Constituency?

I would support better differentiation between supply and demand.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss