Re[2]: [ga] RE: [icann-delete] WLS Input - Greatest Good vs. Benefit s of the Few

Tuesday, Tuesday, January 15, 2002, 6:28:43 PM, Cameron Powell wrote:
> period.  See http://www.snapnames.com/downloads/StateoftheDomainOct2001.pdf.
> Page 20 of the August edition further discusses a distinction between
> speculators who have superior foresight in being the first to register a
> name, versus speculators who have superior access to other customers due to
> their preferential treatment by registrars -- a state of affairs into which
> we would invite congressional oversight.

SO WOULD I!  And I would include your company in that leeching group
who are speculators getting preferential treatment by Registrars.

NO SINGLE COMPANY better fits that description you just gave than your
own.

> Aside from the obvious fact that we do not disclose information about our
> customers, it should be clear from the above that customers who acquire
> names through our all-comers-welcome, user-friendly service (including those
> whose names end up on the Top 100) are not by so doing engaging in abusive
> speculation.  And many of these customers are trademark owners re-acquiring
> names in which they consider themselves to have intellectual property
> rights.  See http://www.snapnames.com/corporate_clients.html.

Cameron, you've been asked the question time and again, and no one
will give a straight answer.  What percentage of your sales are the
result of domain speculators using your service?

You word things VERY carefully, by using terms that cannot be
quantified, such as "many of these customers" and you carefully avoid
anything that would more accurately describe the real make up of your
customer base.

You and I both know that the vast bulk of your sales are from
speculators.  So I find your comments, and those of your CEO, to be
not only self serving, but down and out right misleading.

Until you will answer those questions, or until you will start using
quantifiable data in discussing your customer make up, why bother
bringing it up except to try and cloud the issues?

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux