Re: [ga] Thank you.

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:55:25 +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> Some things we'll do, or try to do:
>
>  - Alexander will take over list monitoring.  For the time being,
>    he'll be the only list monitor.

Good choice but a heavy workload to do both.

>  - The GA's rules of conduct and the posting limit (5 posts per day
>    and individual) will be enforced. In particular, those who are
>    currently exceeding their posting limit on a regular basis should
>    make use of the time until the names council teleconference on
>    Friday to get used to a lower posting frequency again.

With you mailing list experience, can we automate this ?

<snip>

>  - We'll try to persuade the DNSO constituencies to more frequently
>    move discussions on interesting and important topics to the GA
>    list, like the registrars did with WLS.  Of course, constituency
>    members are welcome to follow the topics. ;-)

Ideally we need forums to which they can relate.  They do not want to
participate in a general mish-mash of topics unrelated to their interests.

>  - We'll try to persuade the GA's representatives to the various task
>    forces to send reports to the GA list on a half-regular basis.
>    Look at David Farrar's report from the review task force, or at
>    Marc Schneider's latest summary on dot-org for examples.

The Task Forces are captured by the big business interests.

>    (We'll write more on the Task Force vs. WG issue in a separate
>    posting.)

I'll reply to that separately.

> You may notice that much of this involves persuading others to do
> something.  That's right.  We can't, we don't want, and we won't
> be the entertainers who fill this mailing list with discussions.

You will find "persuasion" to be harder than you think.

> However, we will try to make sure that YOU find an agreeable
> framework for intelligent discussions on this mailing list.

Let's hope so.  With your views I am not optimistic, I'm afraid.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss