Re: [ga] Addressing the Problems

Abel and all assembly members,

Abel Wisman wrote:

> The GA has the final vote on all matters concerning the GA

  Well usually.  However with the current Task Forces this has yet
to be proven true.  FOr instance if you recall I requested the
NC and the DNSO Secretariat to put together a ballot on the
v5.4 of the .ORG divestiture being determined in the .ORG
TF.  We have yet to see a ballot...  I an CC'ing both on this
response yet again...

> A representative is a representative

  Yes if they are voted in by the GA members.  But any resolution
or best practice document derived, as you indicated above Able,
must be approved by the GA members by vote.

> The GA (IF) approves the WG, then let's do the work and stop falling in these
> traps to do things completely by the book that was written to prevent
> anything ever getting done.

  I don't agree that following a procedure that many of us fought to
get put into place so that fairness, transparency and openness is, or
does prevent anything from getting done.  If however the process is
circumvented or otherwise abridged than some measure of fairness,
openness and transparency is lost.  Given that, the conclusions
that may be reached do not and cannot reflect the predominance
of the GA members.  Ergo those conclusions would be illegitimate
at best.

> Further, I have yet to see the GA or the NC make objections, so let's not put
> hurdles in our way that may not be there

  The NC does not have to make objections, it only need to ignore
the wishes of the GA members to put up a hurdle to real open and
transparent progress.

> Finally in my opinion anyone can make suggestions to the GA, and if the GA
> accepts such suggestions they become GA decisions

  Yes, it the are voted upon by the GA members so that we can know
that a true consensus has been reached instead of just declared.

> abel
>
> On Sunday 13 January 2002 4:12 am, Jeff Williams wrote:
> > Abel and all assembly members,
> >
> >   I agree that what you suggest Abel is one way in which to proceed.
> > The biggest problem with doing so however is that the GA members
> > and most especially the NC would likely not recognize any conclusions
> > that could possible be derived if what you suggest is to be initiated
> > from within the DNSO GA.
> >
> > Abel Wisman wrote:
> > > Undoubtedly there are a lot of rules to be observed.
> > >
> > > Whether you should always do so is a totally diffreent matter.
> > >  In life one sometimes has to act instead of delaying by applying for all
> > > the right way.
> > >
> > > The idea is to have a seperate list to work this out and come to a
> > > consensus opinion which will then be proposed to the GA, as happens with
> > > all workgroups.
> > >
> > > I can not see why we can not simply start and file the needed requests at
> > > the same time, explaining we made use of avaialble resources in the
> > > meanwhile.
> > >
> > > Division starts wth laying out rules that delay, then you can succesfully
> > > push anything you want to ignore the GA on in the meantime stating they
> > > did not reach consensus (in time).
> > >
> > > Considering the number of postings makes it clear not everyone enters
> > > this discussion, perhaps more perhaps less will do so on a seperate list.
> > >
> > > If need be we can run a quick questionaire on the GA to see if the GA has
> > > faith in such an approach.
> > >
> > > I for one am for acting instead of waiting for the inevitable.
> > >
> > > abel

> > > --
> > > Abel Wisman
> > > office  +44-20 84 24 24 2 2
> > > mobile +44-78 12 14 19 16
> > >
> > > www.able-towers.com for all your hosting and co-location at affordable
> > > prices www.url.org domainregistrations, there is no better
> > > www.grid9.net bandwidth sales, for high-grade solutions
> > > www.telesave.net for the best rates on long distance calls
> > > --
> > > This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> --
> Abel Wisman
> office  +44-20 84 24 24 2 2
> mobile +44-78 12 14 19 16
>
> www.able-towers.com for all your hosting and co-location at affordable prices
> www.url.org domainregistrations, there is no better
> www.grid9.net bandwidth sales, for high-grade solutions
> www.telesave.net for the best rates on long distance calls

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827