[ga] Re: [icann-delete] Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:53:53 -0500

> I frankly wish it gets through without giving too much important to
> these parties who have vested interests.

The wonderful thing about the ICANN process is that all interested
stakeholders have a say in the policy making process. Even those, such as
yourself, that have a vested interest.

> I believe genuine domain/website users are not well
> represented here. While 99% of the website owners(individual,corporates
etc) will love to
> go for WLS and like to make snapnames 100% effective

While the first part of your statement is partially true (it is really only
individual end-users that are not well-represented here), the rest of your
statement is problematic. I haven't seen any position, positive or negative,
from non-commercial, business, intellectual property or ISP users. That's a
pretty big chunk of end-users that haven't weighed in yet - is it possible
that support, as you imply, for the WLS from other users is so overwhelming
that these very large groups only constitute 1% of the end-user community
impacted by the WLS proposal?

> many of them are already making money through current status
> quo at the expense of registrant...

Unfortunately that's usually the way marketplaces work. People buy things
from other people. One group gets money, the other goods or services. Each
walks away with something in exchange for something else. If you don't
support this model, then you might a) use a registrar that provides the
service that you require for free (trust me, they exist) or b) boycott the
service models that you disagree with.

> ...and now they wish to form cartel.

I've not seen any proposals that support your claim on this.

> that's exactly where WLS proposal comes to rescue registrants and
discourage current
> business model

The current business models promote competition and drive innovation. This
in turn lowers prices and increases service levels for registrants. Three
years ago, domain names were always at least $35 per year. Three years ago,
it would take at least four to six week to change the ownership of a domain
name. Why? Because there was no competition. Now, end-users can get domain
names for free, in some cases, and a change of ownership can be accomplished
real-time.

Is this the type of dynamic that you wish to be rescued from?

> So decision should be
> sole discretion of VGRS registry & ICANN where fair things will happen for
the
> registrant.

I believe that the decision is solely up to VGRS and ICANN. Fortunately,
ICANN decisions are usually based (to varying degrees) on the consultations
with affected stakeholders and other participants in the ICANN process. This
is not something that you can talk away because it is convenient for you and
the other "99% of website owners that support WLS".

-rwr