Re: [ga] Re: VeriSign Proposal a Done Deal??

Matthew and all assembly members,

Matthew Pemble wrote:

> Is it any form of coincidence that Snapnames have just announced a price
> rise?

  I doubt that this price change/rise is a coincidence.  However we really
don't know one way or the other.  But it looks terribly suspicious.

> > PRICE CHANGE ALERT:
> >
> > At 12:01 a.m. PST on January 15, SnapNames™ will introduce a new price of $69 for one-year SnapBack™
> > subscriptions.  The new price is reflective of the increased level of resources we've been dedicating
> > to maintaining the industry's highest rate of efficacy in securing domain names.  For the next several
> > days, SnapBack subscriptions will continue to be available at the current price of $49 -- visit
> > www.snapnames.com for more information and to place your back-order requests.
>
> Their marketing take on the WLS proposal is also interesting:
>
> > DOMAIN NAME NEWS
> >
> > VeriSign To Launch Waiting List Service
> > Coming to the aid of the little guy, VeriSign Friday announced an upcoming Wait Listing Service (WLS).
> >  Offering the WLS at the registry level would provide equal access to all registrars and would result
> > in a higher efficacy rate for applicants, as the registration is virtually assured, should the current
> > domain name registration be deleted.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that this is going to benefit small organisations
> or private individuals as opposed to larger corporations, or even
> whether that should be the point.  Surely, any system should be fair to
> all, regardless of who your are or are representing?

  Yes surely!  However some business people do not look at business
and profit in that manner.  This is why regulation is needed and also
regulation that is enforcable.  Currently in this instance the ICANN
Staff and BoD are responsible for that enforcment once DOC/NTIA
has approved any policy that ICANN Recomends.  And any policy
that ICANN recomends must have the broad support of the stakeholders,
or is supposed to, in accordance with the White Paper and the MoU, before
it becomes a policy recomendation to DOC/NTIA.  Currently and from the
beginning of ICANN's existance this process has been neglected and even
ignored by the ICANN BoD and staff.  As such, ICANN has garnered
much distrust from the stakeholders world wide, and until corrected
shall continue to do so...

> --
> Matthew Pemble
> Eur Ing CEng MIEE MBCS MICAF AIMgt
>
> Technical Director
> Idrach Ltd
>
> Tel:    + 44 (0) 7050 128620
> Fax:    + 44 (0) 1324 826034
>
> Email:  matthew@idrach.com
> Web:    www.idrach.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827