RE: Re[2]: [ga] Re: VeriSign Proposal a Done Deal??

Hello,

--- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
> George,
>
> Let me change the analogy.  Is it okay for a property manager to have
> waiting list?

I've noticed that Chuck never actually ANSWERS a question (I'm still
waiting patiently for the answers to prior questions), but simply
answers a question with his own question. I shall set the example,
though, by answering his question.

Is it ok for a property manager to have a waiting list?

The answer is: MAYBE.

IF the LANDLORD allowed such a thing in their contract with the
property manager, it would be perfectly legitimate. HOWEVER (and read
this part, as it's important), it is NOT OK for the property manager to
create a waiting list on their own volition and keep all the money for
themselves, behind the back of the landlords!!!!!!!!!!

We actually had a case like this in Toronto, where a property manager
charged a bunch of people money to be on a waiting list, and then they
skipped town with all the cash. The landlord knew nothing (but was
ultimately responsible for providing a refund).

In most cases where there's a waiting list, though, there's a definite
end to the lease term (i.e. the prior tenants don't usually rent homes
or commercial real estate for 40 years), and it's mostly just a
"security deposit", which goes to the rent itself. The waiting list
security deposit isn't used a profit-center in itself.

By the way, continuing with your analogy, are you saying that Verisign
property manager intends to now have fixed lease terms (similar to
commercial real estate), and that the prior tenant can get kicked out
at the end of the non-renewable term? I'd like to be put on the waiting
list for Sex.com, Music.com, MP3.com, X.com, etc.. I can wait the 10
years or so when their leases expire, so that I can secure them for
$46.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/