Re: [ga] VeriSign Proposal a Done Deal??

Thomas and all assembly members,

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2002-01-05 23:53:30 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
>
> >The uncertainty in the current system is VASTLY more fair, in that
> >it really is possible for just about ANYONE to acquire one of
> >these names.
>
> >Snapnames and the other services CAN BE AND ARE beat out for
> >names, every day.
>
> Basically, EVERY system which is based on drop timing and works
> without direct registry involvement à la WLS means a lottery of
> domain names, which is strongly biased by network conectivity,
> bandwidth, and latency available to players.

  Good point here Thomas.  Well done!  In addition it would
make the potential WLS subscribers also lottery entities
themselves.  This would seem to be a huge departure
from the MoU and White Paper.

> When looking at averages, you'll find an auction of expired domain
> names to the bidders with the highest ressources.

  Yes.  And such a bias is inconsistent with the MoU and White Paper
as well...

> >There is nothing which will convince me that a registry level
> >program like this is in any way in the best interests of the
> >internet community.
>
> >This is even worse than the plan I spoke of on here a week ago,
> >where a Registrar was considering bypassing the drop process
> >altogether and reselling its dropped names itself without ever
> >returning them to the registry.
>
> Why should WLS be worse than that?

  Good question.

> --
> Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827