Re[2]: [ga] VeriSign Proposal a Done Deal??

Saturday, Saturday, January 05, 2002, 11:22:10 PM, Bret Fausett wrote:

> Nothing that I can see. So what? Nothing to stop you from contacting any
> domain name owner and buying out their registration contract either.

That should be the ONLY way that a person should be able to acquire a
guarantee they will get a domain name in advance of its expiration.

The registry should not be pre-re-selling domain names in advance of
their registration, or guaranteeing those names to any one registrar,
company, or person.

The uncertainty in the current system is VASTLY more fair, in that it
really is possible for just about ANYONE to acquire one of these
names.

Snapnames and the other services CAN BE AND ARE beat out for names,
every day.

There is nothing which will convince me that a registry level program
like this is in any way in the best interests of the internet
community.

This is even worse than the plan I spoke of on here a week ago, where
a Registrar was considering bypassing the drop process altogether and
reselling its dropped names itself without ever returning them to the
registry.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>