Re: [ga] To make the GA something worth and to take into account

Jefsey and all assembly members,

  Some very good points and ideas here Jefsey.  I have a few comments
to offer on some of them.  (See below my comments)

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Dear Fellow GA,
> I understand that there is some sort of consensus to correct the GA
> situation. Here is a plan I propose to that end.
>
> 1. to nominate and elect a Chair wanting to be a debate and resolution
> peaceful catalyst.

  Indeed yes this needs to get underway as soon as possible.

> 2. to look for/develop and implement a motion management system

  What do you have in mind here?  Not sure what you mean here....

> 3. to set-up a list of topics we want to debate seriously in listing the
> matters that Members want to see addressed without any exclusive.

  Yes indeed!

> 4. to set-up a GA web site where each debated matter has a page showing the
> position links of the people wanting to participate to a public consensus
> writing. Each position link links a page by a contributor expressing his
> position that everyone may read and comment. The target is that
> progressively positions may converge and resolve into consensual position
> of agreement or of disagreement clear description.

  This is a good idea but would take some very close dedication to
implement.  But it is doable.

> 5. to incorporate the ICANN GA as a non profit "ICANN user association".
> The target is not to compete with the @large as the Internet Global
> Community, but as a important member of  ICANN community.

  Good idea here as well if it is separate from the proposed or final
format of the At-Large/ALSO.  Is that what you had in mind?

> Such an organization could be used as a permanent secretariat for the GA
> Members:
> 6. to develop relations with other governance centers and to interface with
> Staff and BoD.

  Ok.

> 7. to develop formal relations with the Consistencies he Members of which
> as GA Members

  Ok good here too!

> 8. to establish information channels with DoC, Congress and White House in
> the USA and their counter parts in the other countries.

  Very much agreed here.  In fact the DNSO GA should be doing this
already.  But funding seems to be the biggest hold up.

> 9. to carry an outreach program mainly oriented towards diversity in
> concerns and origins and towards consumer organizations

  Agreed.

> 10. to serve as a watch dog assembly concerning corruption and decisions
> increasing the financial, the lingual and the digital divide on the Internet.

  Ok.

> We would expect this to foster:
> - a common feeling of responsibility towards the governance and to the
> world as far as the ICANN is concerned. Supporting what is good, reporting
> on what is wrong, proposing solutions.
> - a common maturity through serious debate on serious matters resulting
> into published votes.
> - a body of consensual positions or clearly worded oppositions for the
> benefit of the other ICANN units and of the public and the media.

  All good here too.  But would this body have voting power within
the ICANN BoD as you see it?  Or just within the DNSO?

> This has a cost. So we need money. This money will never reach us if we do
> not have a banking account, that is if we are not incorporated. My
> proposition for getting that money is that this ICANN user association
> sponsors Internet governance related propositions and in the meanwhile gets
> some donations and accepts mutual help. Running as site is not a big expense!

  Very much agreed here.  This is the only avenue left to the DNSO GA
as the ICANN BoD is not going to provide any budget/funds for the
DNSO GA a la Stuart Lynns several statements along these lines and
the current budget just recently posted.

> Such propositions could be:
> - sponsoring a newspaper per country who would report on the GA and publish
> its positions
> - sponsoring a yearly Internet meeting/Trade show and an Internet solutions
> portal

  Very good ideas here for generating funds as well as using them.

> - sponsoring local training program where Member could participate
> - sponsoring the publication of documents and books on the Internet
> - tags, teashirts, etc...
> This just to show that this is possible.

  Ok good ideas here pretty much.  I am not sure about the t-shirt thing
though...

> This idea is: we are 1000 with a very precise interest: a good service of
> the ICANN to the public. There is no reason we cannot succeed in obtaining
> it and in becoming a serious and usefull institution.

  Agreed.

> My 2 cents.
> Jefsey

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827