Re: [ga] Top Three Issues

At 17:37 3/12/01 +1300, Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:

>You should be aware that in our view, the At Large interests of registrants
>in ccTLDs ( which interests we take to be in a White Paper Principles-based
>ICANN) are being in many cases, and theoretically can be best provided for
>by the ccTLDs, and to that extent there is an overlap if not a synergy
>between the work of the ccSO and the ALSO.

Theoretically, perhaps. However, the cc's are a diverse bunch and certainly
not all are as registrant-committed as the one we are both so familiar with.

Even democratic ccTLD's can easily be captured by registrar interests. Many
are completely non-democratic or do not even allow Individuals'  registrations.

What the ccSO will need to make your theory work, and to deserve its Board
seat,  is a strong Individuals' constituency.
Just like the DNSO.

--Joop