[ga] Top Three Issues

Peter,

Thank you for your comments.  The issue of representation at the Board level
is of concern to everyone in the ICANN community.  At MdR, I had occasion to
speak with a Board member who indicated that the following was under serious
discussion:

5 seats for the At-Large (by region)
2 seats for the At-Large (appointed by 2/3 of the Board)
2 seats for the PSO
2 seats for the ASO
1 seats for the ccSO
1 seat for the gTLDs
1 seat for the registrars
3 seats split between ISP, Non-Commercial, IP, and Business (on a rotating
basis)
1 seat appointed by ISOC

Doubtless there are many possible options, but each that I have evaluated
denies the full complement of nine seats for the At-Large that was promised
to the Internet Community.  By arguing that the ccTLDs require an SO with at
least one Board Seat, your associates have opened the door for registrars and
the gTLDs to also argue that they too deserve a Board seat, and this has led
to every other constituency arguing that they should similarly not be denied.
 In short, you bear a certain responsibility for the structural
reconsiderations that are now being envisiged.

But please understand that we don't hold this against you, as the right to
self-organization is paramount and well respected by members of this Assembly.

Similarly, be clear about this point:  the bulk of the members in the General
Assembly will become the members of the At-Large as soon as it is
constituted.  While the ccSO will have a solitary Board seat, the At-Large
will have a substantially greater degree of representation, and it will
choose to support those that have shown an affinity for the positions
represented by its loyalists in the GA.

You have stated, "Please separate issues of importance to the GA of the DNSO
from those of the @LM".  At this point in time, I no longer believe that such
separation is possible.  This ICANN is an evolving organization wherein
admittedly structures may change, but the participants will not.  The
participants in the GA will become the participants in the At-Large, and we
will assuredly remember those that gave the GA short shrift and those that
respected the need for full and proper representation in the ICANN process.

We have respected the contributions and participation of the ccTLDs within
this Assembly, and many of us would like to see their efforts come to
fruition.  So please understand that when we focus on the details at the
origin of this experiment, we similarly act based on self-organizing
motivations.

We choose to focus on the promises made by Esther Dyson that we expect to be
upheld.  Putting it within a context that should be familiar to you, if IANA
were to break its promises and commitments regarding redelegations that were
made in good faith a few years ago, and suddenly embark on a course of action
to deny your members their participatory rights, you at the very least would
take umbrage if not offense at such action.

We have similar sensibilities.

Best wishes,
Danny younger