Re: [ga] Internet stability

Dear all,
As Joanna puts it in term of economics for this major failure:

On 05:40 01/12/01, Joanna Lane said:
>The consequences of foolish choices. ATT paid 6 billion dollars for Excite.
>http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200111/msg0038
>2.html>

But the real issue is well defined in that memo:

<quote>
I do know that ATT paid six billion dollars for Excite by itself on the
assumption that people would leave their home pages set to Excite. This
seemed particularly naive and foolish. It was compounded by ATT comments
about wanting a share of the e-commerce revenue generated by their
customers. This seems to be part of a fundamental misunderstanding of what
the Internet is. I think of it as confusing the Internet with the Home
Shopping Network and not recognizing the layering and the end-to-end
architecture.
</unquote>

The problem is the usual problem of commercial people dreaming to reshape
the network reality rather than using it. Any seaman knows that you go with
the sea, not against. Before doing any business on the network it is better
to understand how it works, and how the people use it :-) ...

The problem is that when you tell how the Internet is built you are not
listened ... yet (so many people know intuitively better) . But it is
coming with such failures. May be sometime the ICANN will listen too !

The Internet is neither a captive starn etwork, nor a meshed market. It is
a distributed, open real life multi consensus you have to attract. Business
on a network must be layered along the network layers: what costs and kills
is the confusion between layers as with NSI: one thing is to register a
domain name, another is to certify a user, another is to run DNS servers,
another is to coopete with other TLDs to develop the Nets. Even if you
address apparently the same market: actually you do not address
individually the same people, not at the same time, not in the same
capacity. Bundling things instead of helping people shopping for waht they
want, when they want, how they want, costs you your shirt. Telcos have
nothing to do with the Internet: they have to create a separate affiliate.
And that affiliate has nothing to do with e-commerce. Another affiliate. In
France France Telecom understood that: they created Wanadoo - a total new
name and company, different people to approach the market. And they still
commercially partly suffer from their Telco ties.

I only hope that this huge financial loss will not hurt Marilyn's since she
is in that area, and that it will serve all the others who cannot afford to
lose even 6 dollars to understand the architecture of their own small local
or family business. I am glad I did not sign with Excite :-) for a project
!!!

This is not the first time I see AT&T blundering in style: the collapse of
the X-Ten project in the early 80's helped a lot of my by then X.25 public
services customers not to go under or wrong - I had a worldwide famous :-)
day over that in Tel Aviv for those who may remember !!! You may tell
people what they do is against the network architecture rules: they do not
listen, but when they see the financial losses some start understanding ....

Jefsey