Re: [ga] Re: forum.icann.org for the ALSC Report?

Leah -

If the goal is informed participation and reasoned debate, then the
public forums that have been used by ICANN in the last two years are
a colossal failure.  Every variety of ignorance, off thread, personal
attack, blatant corporate self-interest, excessive posting, and other
ways to corrupt an electronic forum are amply in evidence.  If anyone
doubts it, there are many megabytes of sorry archives to demonstrate
it on the website.

Rick is right, if we want to go down that road, there needs to be a
fresh look at requirements.

More to the point, the record is bulging with input on At Large
issues.  The study committee has already conducted extensive
outreach.  Its report says, "As a result of the Committee's extensive
outreach to the community over the past eight months, in meetings and
online, and the consideration of over 1163 forum comments, input from
16 outreach events worldwide, and a substantial number of studies and
research papers..."  And that is in addition to thousands of
comments, papers and studies accumulated by the Board since 1999.

We don't need more input, we need output. The GA's role is to advise
the NC on policy development, and the NC's job is to advise the
Board.  The Board has asked for best and final comments from the DNSO
on the At Large report and recommendations within 45 days from Nov
15.  It has also simplified the process somewhat by separating issues
associated with restructuring of the SO's from the At Large process
and has established a new restructuring committee to receive thoughts
on that subject.

The NC has already delivered its preliminary comments on At Large to
the Board in Marina del Rey.  It will shortly be considering how to
amend and extend that advice.  The GA has the opportunity to
contribute to that process and it ought to use it.

- Mike