RE: [ga] Stalled

Hello Roeland and GA readers,

Roeland Meyer wrote on 29.11.01, 14:38:40:
> That has been my point for the past few weeks. IMHO, the value-proposition
> isn't there. What does the participant get for their efforts? Once is fun,
> but active participation isn't "fun" stuff, except for the very sick.

Agreed, unfortunately. And I would have a really bad
conscience if I tried to get people to follow the GA
list on a regular basis, in its current state.

> Without a way to implement the results of the discussion it becomes a moot
> effort. If we cannot point at a process that shows a means to implement real
> results, most people would rather not make the (very large) effort. The
> whole thing becomes not much more than endless prattle. Most healthy folks
> don't believe in wasting [much of] their time in such idle chatter.

That's true. Currently:
[idle chatter] --> [not taken seriously] --> [no effect]

I don't believe that a change can start at the end or
middle of the chain. It has to start at the beginning
with proper procedures (e.g. the Best Practices document)
and effective guidance with a Chair and Vice Chair
working with each other and with the Secretariat.
If people get the feeling that their ideas will get
drowned in idle chatter, they will stay away.

> Such a simple thing as guaranteeing a vote on the NC, or a presentation slot
> with the BoD, would make all the difference. Give the GA a couple of seats
> on the NC and you will be amazed at how many members you will gain.
> Similarly, if the GA had a guaranteed BoD presentation slot. The @large
> elections had such a huge turn-out because the value-offering was ICANN BoD
> seats. There was a direct, non-imaginary, connection.

Getting listened to by NC and BoD are desirable end results.
The GA also has to make some changes so that there is
a value-offering on the other side. And no, simply stating
that the GA is "the voice of the people" is not enough.

Best regards,
/// Alexander