Re: [ga] Stalled

Alex, Roeland and all assembly members,

  Alex, we don't and never have had a "Vice-Chair" in the GA.  We
have had a "Alt-Chair".  They are not the same thing.  Just thought I would
point that out.  But your concern about getting others to participate
in the GA forum ML, is of course very understandable.  The divisiveness
of some here seems to be pervasive at times to the point of being
destructive and very non-productive.  But this has also always been
true on this and in my experience, many other forums from time
to time.

   I am hopeful that all assembly members intrinsically understand
that many stakeholders or Domain Name and non-domain name
holders have allot at stake.  Hence I think and except that political
wrangling on this forum is to be expected.  However being dishonest,
and in a fairly obvious way should not be tolerated and also should
be called, and pointed out for those on this forum that may not read
every post.  But some limit would be wise to consider.  This must
be voluntary however which makes "Chatter" a unfortunate result
too often.

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> Hello Roeland and GA readers,
>
> Roeland Meyer wrote on 29.11.01, 14:38:40:
> > That has been my point for the past few weeks. IMHO, the value-proposition
> > isn't there. What does the participant get for their efforts? Once is fun,
> > but active participation isn't "fun" stuff, except for the very sick.
>
> Agreed, unfortunately. And I would have a really bad
> conscience if I tried to get people to follow the GA
> list on a regular basis, in its current state.
>
> > Without a way to implement the results of the discussion it becomes a moot
> > effort. If we cannot point at a process that shows a means to implement real
> > results, most people would rather not make the (very large) effort. The
> > whole thing becomes not much more than endless prattle. Most healthy folks
> > don't believe in wasting [much of] their time in such idle chatter.
>
> That's true. Currently:
> [idle chatter] --> [not taken seriously] --> [no effect]
>
> I don't believe that a change can start at the end or
> middle of the chain. It has to start at the beginning
> with proper procedures (e.g. the Best Practices document)
> and effective guidance with a Chair and Vice Chair
> working with each other and with the Secretariat.
> If people get the feeling that their ideas will get
> drowned in idle chatter, they will stay away.
>
> > Such a simple thing as guaranteeing a vote on the NC, or a presentation slot
> > with the BoD, would make all the difference. Give the GA a couple of seats
> > on the NC and you will be amazed at how many members you will gain.
> > Similarly, if the GA had a guaranteed BoD presentation slot. The @large
> > elections had such a huge turn-out because the value-offering was ICANN BoD
> > seats. There was a direct, non-imaginary, connection.
>
> Getting listened to by NC and BoD are desirable end results.
> The GA also has to make some changes so that there is
> a value-offering on the other side. And no, simply stating
> that the GA is "the voice of the people" is not enough.
>
> Best regards,
> /// Alexander

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827