[ga] Last comment, for a while

Good evening.
I have been unable to participate to the debate lately as I would have
liked. As this personal and professional situation will continue like this
at least to the end of the year, it will be appropriate for me to
unsubscribe from the list and follow the debate from the archives when I
have the possibility.
I will try to be on the Webcast for the GA in MdR.
My last comment, for the time being, is on the ballot.
I do agree that there are things that need to be fixed in the DNSO, that it
is a shame that the voice of the individual users and/or Registrants is not
represented, but I canīt see the bicameral GA/NC as a solution, at least
with the GA as is now.
The purpose of a GA in a properly working DNSO (i.e. in a DNSO where the
major stakeholders *including users and/or registrants* are represented in
the constituency system) is a forum for discussion, and an "agora" where the
members of the different constituencies and the people that generally have
interests at stake do freely debate and shape up the issues, before bringing
them to the "executive body", which is, in my Weltanschauung, the NC.
If we want to have the GA to be a counterpower to the NC (more than the
bicameral political systems of today the reference seems to me the "tribunus
plebis" in the Roman consular system, in that their mandate was to represent
who was not represented otherwise, while a bicameral system in general is
based on the same electorate), we have to go to an elected body structure.
The problem is that the GA does not scale.
We always complain that there are only a couple of dozen active members, and
possibly few hundreds readers. If we had any possible claim to
representativeness, we should be at least on the thousands.
If we all had to be active, with, letīs say, a posts per day, the result
will be that people that do not have this as their full time job will be
unable to follow. And that exactly defeats the purpose.
Therefore, we need to have an elected representative body, to whom to
delegate the power. And so we are back to a similar dilemma that the ALSC
and NAIS are facing: to organize representative elections.
Letīs face it: people like the "frequent posters" on this list can have no
substantive claim to speak for the millions of Internet users, and it will
make little sense to create a governing body alternative to the NC with the
current GA. Besides, the ICANN Board will never endorse the idea. But
anyway, letīs wait for the results of the vote.
In the meantime, please be aware that I will be voting against.

Incidentally, doesnīt this side debate (for a lost cause, IMHO) reduce the
momentum on the effort to progress on a proposal for the
individual/registrant constituency? The Chair did the right thing in putting
this to vote, as this was the request from the floor, but canīt we leave
this issue to the voters, and concentrate discussion on the list on a
proposal for Registrants/Users?

Best regards
Roberto