[ga] Re: Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expense

Dear members,

Leah has raised a significant issue that is worthy of debate.  She states:
"Furthermore, if all candidates cannot be present in Montevideo, perhaps none
of them should be presented as a part of the meetings to avoid unfair
advantage."

As I was in favor of a candidates' forum/debate/question-answer session in
Montevideo, upon hearing Peter deBlanc's remark during the Names Council
teleconference that funding might be available for the candidates, I wrote to
Phil Sheppard regarding this issue.  My position was that the constituencies
had voted in favor of a later date for their NC vote in order to have the
possibility of face-to-face meetings with the candidates, this decision
having been made in the full knowledge that certain candidates might not be
able to attend owing to financial considerations.

Knowing that the DNSO has a budget category for "travel" and another budget
category for "contingencies", I argued that we have an opportunity to provide
every candidate with an equal opportunity to be heard in person, and that a
failure to do so would not be in the best interests of those constituencies
that expressed a desire to personally meet all the candidates.

Phil sheppard made a counter-proposal to hold "telephone hustings for such
candidates".

At this point in time, I tend to share Leah's view that any session with only
some of the candidates present may in fact serve to discriminate against the
other candidates, but I haven't as yet come to a definate conclusion.  What
is sufficiently clear is that the Council Chair will not authorize funds for
the candidates' travel expenses.

I do have my doubts about a telephone session (having noticed the
connectivity issues we faced at Stockholm, and the problems at the last ALSC
session), but perhaps there is some merit in this proposal...

I leave it to you to decide whether the GA should sponsor a session for the
candidates.  Please let me know your thoughts.