RE: [ga] Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expense

First, with the time frame involved, it could well be impossible to
apply for and receive a grant for travel from any source.

Second, $2,500.00 could be a very large hurdle for candidates.

Third, if even one candidate is left out of a f2f due to lack of
funds, it would create an imbalance and appear to favor those with
greater financial means.

Fourth, tickets purchased on short notice are much more
expensive.

F2f is a good idea.  However, it is beyond the means of many of
thsoe who would like to participate and should not be a barrier to a
fair election.  Either all candidates should be provided travel and
hotel, or none, IMO.  Since most business is actually done via the
lists, perhaps it should continue that way for these elections until
proper funding can be arranged for all candidates.  Furthermore, if
all candidates cannot be present in Montevideo, perhaps none of
them
should be presented as a part of the meetings to avoid unfair
advantage.

In addition, since there are only a few candidates, perhaps ICANN
could use coach tickets and provide the same for the candidates.

Leah