RE: [ga] Another committee of cronies?

Peter,

>As a Senior Member of the IEEE, I must answer the portion of the comment
>that relates to IEEE.
>
>While this may not relate directly "policy-wise" to Internet, it
>certainly relates technically.
>
>The IEEE manages the 802.xxx standards, the ethernet system that is
>actually wsed in modt cases to transmit IP packets over LANs, and, in
>some cases WANs.

The 802.x series are not specifically related to Internet, as they define
the transport layers in LAN/MANs (incidentally, 802.x is not limited at all
to Ethernet, i.e. the Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision
Detection, 802.3, but cover also other transport methods like Token Ring,
wireless, ...). Whether they transport IP packets or other payload, is
irrelevant to the standard (otherwise also the RGnn cables, the electric
plugs, and all other kind of things should be considered "relevant for the
Internet").
As a curiosity, the IEEE work receives formal recognition as "standard" via
ISO - in fact the "official" international standards are not the IEEE 802.x,
but ISO 8802.x. But it is indeed IEEE who did the work, ISO only stamps for
approval.

Regards
Roberto
(yes, I promise, this is the last post on this subject)