From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Roberto
Gaetano
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 8:13 AM
To: k@widgital.com
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Another committee of cronies?

Kristy wrote:

>[IETF] Two great examples of what you are looking for are the W3C and
>the IEEE.  I don't know about their market share; but I do know that

I believe this is the only reply addressing my question about
alternative
Internet standard making bodies.

The W3C is indeed a great example. In fact, there is a tight
coordination
between them and the IETF in terms of producing standards.
If you remember the beginning of the discussion about the standards, it
was
in relation to the issue of the PSO. Well, it is not by accident that
IETF
and W3C are among the 4 signatories of the PSO MoU, and I would say that

they share much the same philosophy and approach.

As far as the IEEE, I am sincerely puzzled by your answer. Things might
have
changed in the recent past, but I am not under the impression that there
is
any IEEE standard that is relevant for the Internet.
Maybe you can point me to few of them?

>.......  We sent a visitor to the IETF's meeting held in Minnesota this

>year who recognized there were very few technical people present.

Aha, now I understand: you base your judgement of the IETF not on direct

personal knowledge, but on what one person once reported about his/her
attendance to one IETF meeting. It's all clear now!
I suggest you have a look at the list of participants in the various
IETF
meetings, it's published on the IETF Web site (http://www.ietf.org).

Regards
Roberto