RE: [ga] CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS REJECT ICANN'S ONE ROOT 'POLICY'

I read this the same way. To put it bluntly, a war can ONLY end when both
sides allow quarter. To persue a conflict with unmitigated bloodlust is to
guarantee continuance of the conflict and even a continued excalation in
hostilities (look at the middle-east). The inclusive roots were not created
at whim. They were created after years of frustration with /NSF/IANA/NSI and
by folks that very much knew what they were doing. In fact, were it not for
the activities of the inclusive root folk, I would wager that we would not
have ANY new TLDs today. I firmly believe that to be a true statement.

I believe that Congress also had that in mind. It is a hint, from some very
astute and powerful people, that these polarized positions are too extreme.
The compromise is to let the inclusive TLDs apply to the ICANN, without
prejudice. Alternatively, if both sides aren't willing to compromise, then
the war will continue and can even escalate (how many more NewNets do you
want? I know of three others, in various funding stages, right now.).

I know for fact that, with some understandable trepedation, that the various
inclusive root players are open to such discussion. I also know for fact
that there are some hard-line opponents of any such compromise. This is
maybe because they resented having to open the root up, to new TLDs, in the
first place and the activity of the inclusive root community forced them to
change? I know that I'm not the only one that reads it that way.

The way I see it, Congress called for an honorable compromise. Since the
sole stumbling block, to such a compromise, is the hard-line element within
ICANN, let's see if they're listening. Remember, DOC reports to Congress.