Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochetti Transfer Letter)

L Gallegos wrote:

> As for trademarking a domain name, in the US, it can't be unless it is
> more than just the address for a website.  The domain name itself, as a
> domain name, is not trademarkable - at least according to the USPTO
> guidelines.

From the USPTO:

Word Mark: AMAZON.COM

Goods & Services: IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: computerized on line search and
ordering service featuring the wholesale and retail distribution of books, music,
motion pictures, multimedia products and computer software in the form of printed
books, audiocassettes, videocassettes, compact disks, floppy disks, CD ROMs, and
direct digital transmission. FIRST USE: 19950415. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950415

Mark Drawing Code  (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number: 75277670

Filing Date: April 18, 1997

Published for Opposition: March 31, 1998

Registration Date: June 23, 1998

This looks like a TM to me. (Also, not only is it a WORD MARK Tm, but it is of
the most coomon TM variety: (1) TYPED DRAWING (1,729,236 occurences of this type
of TM in the USPTO)

IANAL,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos