Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochetti Transfer Letter)

On 27 Jul 2001, at 22:40, Jeff Williams wrote:

> Marilyn and all assembly members,
>
> Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
>
> > Folks, I know I'll engage  much debate here, but I am under the
> > impression that domain names are not "private property". I believe that's
> > the present state of the law, but others who are lawyers can comment on
> > that.
>
>   I did comment.  Domain Names are a type of private property under the
> law.
>

> > One registers and uses a domain name. That doesn't convey private
> > property rights in the domain name.
>
>   Under this (your) definition of ONE of the uses of a Domain Name
> you are correct.  However that is only ONE of the aspects of a Domain
> Name as it relates to property.  Can a Domain Name be sold?  Yes.
> Is it considered a asset fiduciary?  Yes.  Can it be auctioned? Yes.
> Does a Domain Name have an extrinsic value in and of itself? Yes.
> Can a Domain Name be trademarked?  Yes.

Depending upon the registrant agreement with the registry, the answers
to all the questions above could very well be "no."  In a chartered or
restricted registry, there could very well be prohibitions on transfer of
any kind, especially for a TLD such as .NGO where the domain name
might very well have to be identical to the org name or its abbreviation,
etc.

Once again, it would depend on the contract terms for use of the
domain and that is set by the registry.

As for trademarking a domain name, in the US, it can't be unless it is
more than just the address for a website.  The domain name itself, as a
domain name, is not trademarkable - at least according to the USPTO
guidelines.

Leah