[ga] Re: The First New.net Name Appraisal at Afternic

Ken Stubbs writes:  "i am also frankly surprised that the GA chair would have
been the person to start this thread anyhow !!"

When the wholly-owned subsidiary of ICANN's second-largest accredited
registrar makes a policy decision to begin accepting for auction domains from
the largest alternate root, this is a noteworthy event...

What we are witnessing is the "consensus" of the market-place, a consensus
that is more far-reaching, more representative and responsive to community
needs than the "consensus" that ICANN purports to have.  The ISP community
has reached a preliminary market-place consensus... they are supporting the
New.net initiative -- Earthlink, @Home, prodigy, Juno, Netzero and many
others (such as the American Alliance of Service Providers with over 550+
member ISPs) have partnered with this registry.  No wonder that our own ISP
constituency has remained silent on this issue... they want to be able to
supply that which the market demands, and that which New.net has offered to
the public, new TLDs, now.

The secondary domain market has recognized this "consensus" and is moving to
capitalize on the opportunity for further profit... many of ICANN's own new
TLDs won't even be going "live" until 2002, and the public has not exactly
clamored for the choices being offered -- .shop, .web, .club are choices far
superior than that which ICANN has chosen.

The public has responded to the New.net initiatives because ICANN has not met
their needs.  The ccTLDs are withdrawing from the DNSO primarily because
their needs have not been met.   Congressmen craft legislation to establish a
.kids domain because the needs of their constituents have been ignored.

The consensus that I am hearing is not the consensus that ICANN purports to
have.  We, in ICANN, bandy about the word "consensus".  We claim that our
policies are based on the bottom-up consensus process, and yet a policy paper
(ICP-3: A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS) was issued without the
necessary bottom-up process, without any public comment, without constituency
input, and without a vote by the Council...

We can continue to bury our head in the sand (like those in the NC that argue
that roots are beyond our scope), or we can move forward to responsibly deal
with the issues that face us.  Alternate roots have become a part of the
landscape... to attack them, or to ignore them, is folly.

To the same degree that the White Paper recognized that the earlier IAHC
process was insufficiently representative and that important segments of the
Internet community remained outside the process, so too are we in ICANN now
guilty of becoming an exclusionary cartel.   Letters between attorneys have
already been published.  We are potentially on the brink of a very ugly
situation.  It is time for Mr. Lynn to withdraw his paper, and time to
recognize that if we lay claim to a consensus process, we had better start
using it.