From: William X. Walsh [mailto:william@userfriendly.com]
Sent: 20 July 2001 15:30
To: Alex Kells
Cc: 'ga@dnso.org'
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] VeriSign complains...

Hello Alex,

Friday, July 20, 2001, 7:01:29 AM, Alex Kells wrote:

> Personally, I like the idea of the losing Registrar confirming the
transfer
> request - the only problem I have with it, is that NetSol only give 72
hours
> to respond. I've returned to work on a Monday morning to find my mailbox
> filled with these - only to discover that the 3 days has already expired
> (the email having been received after close of business on the Friday).

> Currently the onus is on the receiving Registrar to confirm the transfer
> request... I have experienced unauthorised transfers - the Registrant had
no
> idea that a transfer request had been initiated - the domain was returned
> after numerous trans-atlantic phone calls and shouting - the receiving
> Registrar put it all down to an "administrative error".

Doesn't it make much more sense to adopt a policy like the the Tucows
policy on outgoing transfer notifications, which rather than requiring
the ack at the losing registrar, provides a mechanism for the domain
registrant to be notified and block any transfer attempts, or to
expedite their transfer request.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>