From: Derek Conant [mailto:dconant@dnsga.org]
Sent: 20 July 2001 02:32
To: Marc Schneiders
Cc: ga@dnso.org; ga@dnsga.org
Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign complains...

I can support VeriSign's efforts to require its customers to acknowledge
and approve transfer-away requests.

There may be a problem with relying on competing Registrars to
authenticate transfer requests.  First, the current Registrar is
contractually obligated to the Registrant.  It appears that the current
Registrar has a responsibility to make certain that its customer is aware
that a transfer request has been initiated through a competing Registrar.
You can believe that some Registrants choose established and reliable
Registrars like NSI for registering domain names.  It may be the case that
not all Registrars are as established and as reliable as NSI.  It appears
possible for competing Registrars and their affiliates to cause a real
problem for Registrants and current Registrars if competing Registrars are
relied upon for authenticating transfer requests.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman