[ga] "sub-lists"

Mr. Younger and Mr. Corliss have done both a service and a disservice to
the GA community by creating the informal discussions on the so-called
"sub-lists".  The discussions that they have created are informal and
unofficial meeting rooms for GA members to meet in.  These lists are, in
no way, part of the official record of the GA as a whole, but merely
informal meetings in the hallway of the corridors of GA business.

They have done a service to the community by siphoning off illegitimate
discussions, such as the "roots" discussion into a harmless and
unofficial discussion area.  The time wasted by those with vested
interest in trying to make money off their own ideas of what a DNS root
should be can be safely sequestered into this informal discussion group
and no longer trouble the GA as a whole with their wild ideas.

They have done a disservice by creating the "rules" discussion area and
promoting it as somme sort of "legitimate" area for the GA as a whole to
do business in.  This is a real hazard to the progress of the GA as it
has led certain people to think that there is actual legitimate business
going on in this informal discussion area.

Let us be clear about the whole issue of the so-called "sub-lists".
These are completely informal, off-the-record discussion groups that
have no real meaning in the business of the GA.  The full extent of the
bad meaning given this informal area is shown in Mr. Lovell's message
announcing the so-called BEST PRACTICES document:

 > The full text of Part I (Principles and Definitions) of the BEST
 > PRACTICES initiative is now posted to the Archives of the General
 > Assembly at
 > http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-rules/Arc00/msg00263.html,

This announcement shows Mr. Lovell's confusion in believing that the
informal discussion group is somehow part of the official record of the
GA.  The only official record of the GA is the GA list itself,
ga@dnso.org.  No other official record of the business of the GA
exists.  Mr. Lovell is doing a further disservice to the GA community by
perpetuating the notion (first put forward by the "chairs") that the
so-called "sub-lists" are somehow official business of the GA.

As Mr. Lovell himself further pointed out in a subsequent communication,
he himself recognizes that only business conducted on the GA list itself
can be official discussions.

Mr. Lovell, I ask you to reword your announcement above to make it clear
that you do not look at any discussion which may take place on the
so-called "rules" list as having any official part of the record of the
business of the GA.  I suggest that you announce that an informal
discussion of your proposal is taking place there until such time as you
feel the need to bring your proposal to the attention of the GA as a
whole so that official debate can then take place on said proposal.

Thank you.

/Joe