Re: [ga] Moving Discussion -- Call on the Chair

Patrick Corliss writes:
 > On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:50:45 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
 > > I might be missing something here, but where are the "current
 > > procedures" mentioned above codified?  Further, if the Chair was to
 > > personally accept the proposed policy, would that make it a de
 > > facto GA institution?
 > (3) An alternative, already suggested, is to use Joop's polling booth
 > for the purpose.  Again, any discussion about voting procedures
 > should be conducted on the GA-RULES list.  For example, how should
 > people register to vote?  We really need to take things a step at a
 > time.

You make a blanket statement that discussion *must* take place on the
illegitimate ga-rules discussion list.  There can be no discussion of
anything involving material changes to the GA on any other mailing list
unless and until there is a formal vote and acceptance of such a motion
by the entire GA.  Your claim that "13 or 14" respondents agree with the
motion is insufficient evidence that it should be approved on sight.
And I certainly do not trust the so-called "polling booth" that Joop
continues to push as being anything other than self-serving
aggrandizement by Joop, as the only evidence that his booth is fair was
the so-called votes of the so-called IDNO, which have been shown time
and again to have been severly tainted by Joop himself.

If you want to debate fundamental changes to the way that the GA
operates, the only viable place for the debate is the GA list.  No other
list is a legitimate forum for such debates.

 > (4) Once the motion is accepted by Danny, the GA could self-organize
 > enough to transfer debate to GA-RULES voluntarily.  Some might refuse
 > and we could discuss what to do about that if it happens.  At least,
 > those who refuse would be seen as acting contrary to the will of the
 > majority.

You cannot act contrary to the will of the majority, when you have
yourself shown that only "13 or 14" respondents showed interest in the
issue.  This does not a majority make.  A formal vote makes a majority,
and only a formal vote.

 > (5) Even without a vote, the current rules allow the list monitors to
 > adjudicate whether an issue is off-topic.  Should the motion be
 > accepted by the majority -- and the Chair -- the list monitors might
 > be asked to apply the rule accordingly.  Again, discussion of this
 > issue is best left to GA-RULES.

No discussion about the rules of the GA can happen legitimately anywhere
else except on the GA list.  Period.

/Joe