Re: [ga] SABOT

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2001-07-04 09:10:37 +1000, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>
> >I imagine that it would be possible for the DNSO Secretariat to
> >set the mailing lists so that all mails were forwarded to
> >[ga-full].  This would be a budensome task and I cannot see any
> >support for it except from Jefsey Morfin himself.
>
> This would, of course, be a trivial task for the secretariat.
>
> However, it would be burdensome to the subscribers to ga-full, and
> possibly to the other lists.
>
> So, if someone believes they absolutely have to mess around with
> ga-full in order to silence Jefsey (or to please Eric, or whatever),
> please ask the ga-full subscribers FIRST.  If they want all sublists
> - fine, go ahead, ask the secretariat to direct all sublists to
> ga-full.  You'd do everyone concerned a favor.
>
> However, I'd guess it would be considerably wiser to just let Jefsey
> post his messages to lists where they don't belong.
>
> IFF (if and only if) the split-up is carried by general consensus of
> list members, he'll soon notice that his messages to "wrong" lists
> will be ignored, or that replies are directed back to the
> appropriate sub-list.  I suppose that Jefsey would notice this
> sooner or later, and would follow general consensus.  (Otherwise,
> he'd start to look foolish at some point.)
>
> If, however, the split-up is not carried by consensus, it may be
> time to rethink it.
>
> In either of these case, I don't thinkt here is any need to start
> bothering the ga list with public notes about Jefsey's behaviour. We
> all see what he does, and make our own judgements about it. If you
> want to talk just to him, and try to persuade him to follow
> consensus (which will either be unnecessary, or unsuccessful - see
> above), please do so, possibly CCing your co-chair or ga-abuse. But,
> please, don't do so on ga.
>
> So, could we please stop this thread and leave things to themselves?

I would think so, but would first add one point. It seems to me that any
continued refusal to abide by established posting procedures (whether
or not one agrees with them) should in itself -- and even if expressed
with utmost politeness and nice clean words -- and more importantly
any attempt unilaterally to change those procedures, without the input
of the rest of the GA more or less in the manner expressed above,
should itself be grounds for suspension from posting privileges. The
rationality of this kind of thinking continues to escape me -- that is,
one complains of this or that "autocratic" conduct, and then addresses
it by oneself assuming the role of autocrat, attempting, without a shred
of authority to speak for anyone but oneself, to countermand and destroy
the procedures that the Chair (whether wisely or not makes no difference
here) has set up. Postings are often made in error -- I have myself been
guilty of such error more than once -- but there comes a time when
unilateral alternations of procedure can clearly be distinguished from
that kind of error, and the continued, relentless defiance of procedure,
and particularly the unilateral quest for "no rules at all," should be
grounds
for suspension -- that person clearly has no understanding of the manner
of civilized discourse and conduct, where "civilized" means that the
people
have decided to establish a mechanism for discussion and decision-making
that they all agree to use for their common good.  And "people"
exercising
their right of free expression means bunches of people, not one
incalcitrant.

Bill Lovell

> --
> Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm