RE: [ga] FTAA treaty to mandate use of ICANN UDRP]

Peter de Blanc wrote:

>We have, and will have in the future, a number of LDRP (Local Dispute
>Resolution) workshops, including one hosted by WIPO in Geneva. At the
>WIPO workshop, WIPO presented their idea of a 'model' LDRP, in hopes
>that ccTLDs would use it, or some of it, as a guideline for their own
>policy.
>
>Many ccTLDs, due to local government laws and policies, would need a
>policy suited to their own specific country.
>
>Even WIPO understands this.
>
>Finally, I do not see how an unbrella organization could mandate a
>single policy that would apply to so many soverign governments.

I guess that we have to make the distinction between gTLDs and ccTLDs.
While to have a set of common rules would be a good thing, my opinion is
that for ccTLDs the governing country is the ultimate authority, while some
global authority (WIPO?) is needed for gTLDs.

This said, in the text below it seems to me that the reference to the
national law (I assume of the country of the ccTLD) is the ultimate
authority, but IANAL, so I may well be wrong.

Regards
Roberto