Re: Re[2]: [ga] SABOT

William and William ;>),

William X. Walsh wrote:
>Tuesday, July 03, 2001, 10:37:54 PM, William S. Lovell wrote:
>
> > I really have to agree with Patrick, on this and on the lists in
>general.
> > One measure of maturity in a polite and civilized society is a
>willingness
> > to abide by particular practices for the good of the group effort as a
> > whole, even though one may not happen to agree with them.  Without
> > that, and with each person seeking to follow whatever rule that person
> > happens to think best, there can be nothing but anarchy.
>
>This assumes that there are rules that govern the behavior in
>question.
>
>There aren't.

Correct, but WSL was speaking about common practices and behaviour, not
written rules.
When brought up as a child I have been told simple things, like not to speak
with my mouth full of food.
I do not know whether there is a written rule about it, probably not, so I
assume I could get away with it without being slammed into jail, but I have
noticed that in many environments to comply with this "behaviour" (not rule)
is appreciated.

IMHO, a lot of what we are talking about is "mature behaviour", and the
simple fact that we are obliged to spell out written rules about
cross-posting, excessive posting, irrelevant subjects, offensive posts, AATJ
(And All That Jazz) speaks volumes about the maturity of some participants.
It would be terrible if we had to get into legal language to describe polite
behaviour, considering also the multicultural environment we are in. I guess
just some good will might do.

Regards
Roberto