Re: [ga] New domain name policy issue

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> What is apparent to many of us is that as a result of recent activities, the
> consumer is being hurt.

Or protected. Fraudulent transfer requests are the main way that domain
names are stolen or 'hijacked' from registrants. I appreciate that a number
of registrars and registrants would like to make it easy to transfer domain
name registrations, but that's not necessarily in the best interest of all
registrants. The hard problem is finding a way to honor a consumer's choice
to change registrars while protecting against fraud at the same time. There
are authentication issues, language barriers, and a host of other problems
that make this a very difficult issue.

I don't have an answer, but having worked with individuals and companies who
have lost their domain names by fraud, I know it's a difficult and costly
problem to solve. I'd probably strike the balance in favor of security over
ease of transfer.

      -- Bret