Re: [ga] New domain name policy issue

Bret and all assembly members,

Bret A. Fausett wrote:

> DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> > What is apparent to many of us is that as a result of recent activities, the
> > consumer is being hurt.
>
> Or protected. Fraudulent transfer requests are the main way that domain
> names are stolen or 'hijacked' from registrants.

  Bret, respectfully I don't agree with this and from what has been reported
does not bare your assertion here out.  I would like to see an in depth
study done on this however.  From what our members have reported,
however is that most of the problems they have had with Registrar
transfers and loosing their domain names is from inconsistency, lack
of ability and rudeness from the registrars.

> I appreciate that a number
> of registrars and registrants would like to make it easy to transfer domain
> name registrations, but that's not necessarily in the best interest of all
> registrants. The hard problem is finding a way to honor a consumer's choice
> to change registrars while protecting against fraud at the same time. There
> are authentication issues, language barriers, and a host of other problems
> that make this a very difficult issue.

  The language difficulties may be real.  Authentication and security
methods are not...  Many different authentication methods have been
developed and are widely used in other arena's and some have been adapted
for use in transfer related internet activities between databases...

> I don't have an answer, but having worked with individuals and companies who
> have lost their domain names by fraud, I know it's a difficult and costly
> problem to solve. I'd probably strike the balance in favor of security over
> ease of transfer.

  Agreed that security is more preferable.  However such a preference should
not predicate, nor is it necessary to predicate ease of transfer...

>       -- Bret

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827