Re[2]: [ga] New domain name policy issue

Hello Bret,

Tuesday, June 26, 2001, 11:23:34 PM, Bret A. Fausett wrote:

> DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>> What is apparent to many of us is that as a result of recent activities, the
>> consumer is being hurt.

> Or protected. Fraudulent transfer requests are the main way that domain
> names are stolen or 'hijacked' from registrants.

That is simply not true.  I Challenge you to back this up with some
evidence and cases.

EVERY time that this has been accused, research has shown that the
REAL hijacking took place at the original registrar, and that it was
only after getting control of the name at the original registrar did
they succeed in transferring the domain name to a different registrar.

These unnecessary losing registrar acks are meant to confuse and delay
the transfer process.  Nothing more.

The responsible way to do it is the way that Tucows does it.

When a registrar transfer request comes in, the admin contact receives
an email where they are given the opportunity to block the transfer.

They do NOT have to explicitly approve the transfer for it to go
through (since the receiving registrar is REQUIRED under their
agreements to properly authenticate the transfer request), but they
have the chance to explicitly block it from going through.

So far there have not been ANY cases of "domain" slamming or
unauthorized transfers that would have been prevented by these
policies at NSI and Register.com, since in every case control of the
domain at already been lost at the original registrar anyway.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>