[ga] Analysis of Atlantic Root .BIZ Registrations to Date

I've heard discussion -- on this list, at ICANN meetings, and elsewhere --
on the subject of a possible conflict in the DNS root between the NeuLevel
.BIZ (which the ICANN Board of Directors selected in its November 16, 2000
Board Meeting; see <http://www.neulevel.com>) and an existing .BIZ TLD
operated by the Atlantic Root Network (<http://www.biztld.net>).

I've heard much discussion about the possible and theoretical problems
raised by such conflicts, but there seemed to me significant empirical
questions here.  For example, I wondered: Just how many registrations are in
the Atlantic Root Network's .BIZ?  When were those registrations made?

Accordingly, I have set out to answer these questions and others using data
freely available over the Internet.  My work in progress is posted at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/dotbiz>.  I look forward to
feedback from others interested in these questions, and to continued
discussion on the subject.

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School