[ga] Posting Rules - Call for a VOTE

Hi Derek

> If there are going to be rules limiting the number of posts, it should be
based
> upon the Central European time zone as established be the GA Archive
system
> itself, not one's local time.
>
> Are the list monitors trying to confuse people here, or what?

Everybody in the world knows their own local time so it is naturally easier
for them to abide by it.  As well their posts are invariably time stamped
and dated with their own local time.  Should there be any complaints later,
it is a simple matter for that person to sort or extract postings in date
order.  The person posting can easily see their own emails in their own
time.

The use of a set time zone, such as you suggest, would be most burdensome.
Every person posting would then have to manually calculate times in time
zone other than their own.

However, the list monitors are not particularly fussy what time zone you
live in.  If you wish you can probably set your own PC to Central European
time, make that your local time, and use it on your travels wherever you go.
Australia, Sweden Uruguay, etc.

The fact that your emails will be time stamped in a zone different from
where you ae located is something that you, personally, will have to deal
with.

The fact is that it is very easy to resolve such queries by writing to me
directly.  Or indeed the Chair or any of the List Monitors.  What surprises
me most is that (a) people so like to argue and (b) when they argue they
want the greatest audience possible.  At least 300 people.

It should be obvious to any member with the slightest common sense that the
[ga-rules] mailing list was set up to discuss mailing list rules and
protocols.  Including time zones.  It was thought this would free up the
main [ga] list for substantive rather than procedural issues.

However, asking people to use the appropriate list is a no-no.  People post
whatever they like to whatever list they like without any complaint being
possible.  I am certainly surprised that intelligent people allow their atte
ntion to be diverted in this way !!!

MOTION

That the use of the [ga-rules] mailing list be determined by the members as
follows:

(a)    The [ga-rules] mailing list was set up to provide a forum for the
discussion of list rules, protocols and procedural issues and should be used
for that purpose.
(b)    The [ga-rules] mailing list is not needed.  All issues relating to
list rules, protocols and procedural issues should be discussed on the main
[ga] mailing list.
(c)    Don't know, don't care or don't think it makes any difference.

Note.  People who are fed up with GA discussion about lists should vote (a).

Could I ask members to indicate their preference for (a), (b) or (c)?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss