Re: [ga] "They're Coming To Take Me Away. Ha Ha."

This survey is very badly designed, and has several signs of bias.  I wish whoever
wrote this had consulted a professional.  Here are just some examples:

Question 9 is a loaded question: the opposite of essential is not
valueless but "unnecessary".  In asking the question the way you do you
leave no space for those who believe information may have "value" but
still not be appropriate to be published.  Almost any information has
value. The question is whether the value exceeds the privacy cost.  This
entire survey is designed to minimize the chances that this view could
be expressed.  Who is going to say that the name of the registrant is
'valueless' - that does not mean, however, that it is either 'essential'
or 'desireable'.  This is, I repeat, a very biased an inappropriate
question.

Question 5 leaves out the possibility that what one wants is a technical
contact to reach about problems e.g. spam, rather than the spammer.  The
entire survey minimizes the use of 'whois' for IP numbers, focussing on
domain names.

Question 17 gives multiple choice options for the status quo, and the
extension of the status quo, but not for the obvious choice of
*increasing* privacy.  That requires survey respondents to type text of
their own in a box.  Again, the bias is against making it easy for
people to express pro-privacy views -- yet it could hardly be a surprise
that this is the main issue with the bulk access provisions of the
contract.

Question 19 does not say whether the option of third-party registration
would (a) be costly and (b) without prejudice to any legal rights.  More
importantly, the survey fails to ask if people want an "unlisted"
registration (disclose but don't publish) as exists for telephone
registrations in many countries.

                Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                       -->It's hot here.<--