Not a good idea - Re: [ga] Membership Drive

What Joanna describes here appears good at first, however, the GA should not
want to deal with the problems the At-Large groups are currently facing.

This forum is not the PTA.  If the GA is going to function and be worthwhile
it needs to first understand that it will not be a democracy that fits any
known democracy model.  It should be good ideas that fly here, not just votes.

I could easily engage advertising regarding the DNSGA to 200,000+ consumers I
am associated with through my various Internet companies.  However, I have
realized that it would not be fair or productive to have participants who have
not demonstrated their knowledge regarding the subject matter being decided
through votes.  It appears that the best mechanism for managing and weighing
votes is through a process that qualifies those votes.  This is the DNSGA's
APO concept.

If you want to count individual votes from everyone, then let's hand ICANN and
the Internet over to China right now and save us all the hassle and time here
regarding how to weigh and count votes, and save us the hassle and time of
figuring out what the future will be like for that matter.  Does this help
you?

We should be careful about what we are suggesting here regarding counting
everyone's votes when there is no way to manage and validate such process at
this time within this forum.  This was primarily the purpose for the DNSGA
suggesting ICANN APOs at http://dnsga.org/announcements/atlarge_5june01.html.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman