Re: [ga] Re: Opinion Concerning ICANN Board/ccSO Matter

Vint and all assembly members,

vint cerf wrote:

> I think a proposal to the board for creation of a new SO would be
> one reasonable path.

  Well of course it would be as long as that $1.4M is on the line Eh, Vint!?
And of course in creating a ccSO, keeps at least 31 ccTLD's actively
interested in ICANN as well....  Question is though, what would this
but in terms of seats on the ICANN BoD?  If it isn't at least 1/3 of
the ICANN BoD seats I doubt that many of the ccTLD's will continue
their interest in ICANN, or shouldn't anyway.  And if I were the ccTLD's
that have ask for this, I would also want to have the ability to earmark those
$1.4m funds for issues that are of ccTLD interests only....

> Vint
>
> At 10:23 AM 6/4/2001 -0400, Gene Marsh wrote:
> >Vint,
> >
> >Perhaps I should be more clear.  I agree that the Bylaws allow for the
> >creation of additional SO's.  By the wording of the Bylaws, there appears to
> >be only one *process* defined that would initiate the consideration of
> >another SO, namely a Staff Recommendation.  The Bylaws state:
> >
> >"(b) The Board may amend the Bylaws to create additional Supporting
> >Organizations if it determines, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of all members of
> >the Board, that it would serve the purposes of the Corporation. In the event
> >of a staff recommendation that an additional Supporting Organization should
> >be created, the Board will post the staff recommendation on the Web Site,
> >including a detailed explanation of why such action is necessary or
> >desirable, set a reasonable time for the receipt of public comments, and not
> >make a final decision to seek the consensus development of such additional
> >Supporting Organization until it has taken into account all such comments."
> >
> >All other considerations rely upon a vote of the board.  However, there is
> >no clear process as to how that consideration by the Board may be reached.
> >Is there a method by which the Board would be enacted to review such a
> >consideration?  Petition?  Formal letter? etc.?
> >
> >Gene...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827